Reswitched Weekly 1
Hello and welcome to Reswitched Weekly, a weekly summary of the progress made by the reswitched team and wider community around homebrew development for the Nintendo Switch.
Most of the work done this week involved kgsws’s
ace_loader. This software
is tasked with multiple jobs : it has to clean up the browser environment, and
allow loading more NROs through a TCP server. It will also set up stdio to
route to a telnet server. The long term goal is to have graphic homebrew
launchers use aceloader as the service to start apps.
What was done
@kgsws and @misson20000
got stdio support into
libtransistor, routing through a TCP stream.
- It is now possible to pass arguments when loading NROs.
@dvdfreitag has integrated
libtransistor, giving us working stack guards. Our programs are safe from stack smashing now !
@misson20000 has integrated
libtransistor, fixing various hurdles related to missing symbols.
- A rather big cleanup of the Makefiles were done.
What people are working on
- @kgsws is working on getting Doom running. He got it to run, sending rendered GPU frames to a PC ! He got input working too, through libtransistor’s HID support !
- Graphics and audio support are being worked on by various members of the
community, including @misson20000. According
to last update, “
am(Applet Manager), responsible for taking a framebuffer and drawing global widgets to it, uses
pdm:ntfy, which is part of
sdb, which our ACE kills.”
@roblabla is working on getting a File Descriptor
newlib, to properly implement FD-related syscalls (such as
Call for participation
Lots of things could be implemented properly into libtransistor/newlib without much more reverse-engineering. If you’re a developer and want to give a hand, make sure to hop on Discord so we can coordinate work.
Things that need work on :
- Pthread emulation layer
- Thread Local Storage, by implementing emutls
- Implementing more services into libtransistor