Reswitched Weekly 5
Hello and welcome to Reswitched Weekly, a weekly summary of the progress made by the reswitched team and wider community around homebrew development for the Nintendo Switch.
This week started rather slow, with not much happening due to the holiday season. But on the 28th, the 34C3 happened, and we got lots of good stuff
What was merged
- @misson20000 pushed framebuffer and audio support ! We can now display stuff, and play sounds ! Games are finally happening !
- @misson20000 also released a SNES emulator, based on RetroArch and snes9x2010.
- @Pokemod97 and @roblabla wrote a tutorial to setup a working Switch Homebrew development environment, check it out.
What people are working on
- @misson20000 will be working on the FS abstraction layer, implementing FS mounts, writing an SMB client, and sharing FS mounts between apps.
- @kgsws added framebuffer support in his Doom port. He’s working on getting analog controls, and fixing the occasional crashes.
- @roblabla is going to be busy working on the FS abstraction layer, implementing “save FS” mounts.
Call for participation
Lots of things could be implemented properly into libtransistor/newlib without much more reverse-engineering. If you’re a developer and want to give a hand, make sure to hop on Discord so we can coordinate work.
Things that need work on :
- Documentation ! We have lots of moving parts that aren’t properly documented.
Setting up doxygen for
libtransistorwould be a huge first step towards fixing this. We also need help writing tutorials for Mephisto and whatnot.
- Implementing more services into libtransistor. We’re lacking a bunch of things like USB support and whatnot.
- Thread Local Storage, by implementing emutls.
- Port apps and libraries. Make sure they work ! We now have graphics and audio, the sky is the limit !